Automobile Injury Facts
- It is estimated that 15-40% of those who are injured in a motor vehicle collision will suffer fromongoing chronic pain.(Journal of the AmericanAcademy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 2007)
- Whiplash injuries not only increase the incidence of chronic neck and shoulder pain, it also significantly increases the incidence of other systemic ill health effects. In other words,whiplash injuries cause more than neck pain and headache, it hurts the health of the entire body.(Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 2001)
- That essentially100% of those who are suffering from chronic pain caused by a whiplash injury will have an abnormal psychological profile with standard assessments, and the only way to resolve the abnormal psychological profile was to successfully treat the chronic spinal pain. Psychotherapy was not able to improve the abnormal psychological profile, nor was it able to improve the patients chronic pain complaint.(Pain, 1997)
- In the longest study ever performed on whiplash-injured patients (a study looking at the health status 17 years after injury),55% of the patients still suffered from pain caused by the original trauma.(Accident Analysis and Prevention, 2002)
- 90% of those who are initially given a cervical collar for their whiplash injuries will be suffering from chronic neck pain 6 months later.(Spine, 2000)
- 2% of whiplash-injured patients will have severe pain and problems that require ongoing medical investigations anddrugs 7.5 years after being injured.(Injury, 2005)
- 1 in every 100 (1%) people on our planet suffer from chronic neck pain caused by whiplash injury.(Pain, 1994)
The Bottom Line
To understand whiplash
injury and treatment, it is most
important to know the answers to these three questions:
·What tissues are injured in a motor vehicle collision?
·What tissues are the primary sources for chronic spinal pain?
·What tissues are primarily affected by the chiropractic adjustment?
answer to all three questions is the same:
The tissues in and
around the spine, including but not limited
to the facet joints and the tissues of the disc joints
Consequently, it is
inevitable that some whiplash-
injured patients will develop chronic pain and that
chiropractic is often the best management choice for